Quebec man paralyzed in mosque shooting to receive $400K for new home

A man who lost the use of his legs in last year’s Quebec City mosque shooting is set to receive the $400,000 that was raised to buy him a wheelchair-accessible home.

READ MORE: Quebec City mosque shooting victim ‘optimistic’ 1 year after tragedy

The Muslim-Canadian non-profit DawaNet says it will deliver the funds to Aymen Derbali on Saturday.

READ MORE: Vigil to mark one year anniversary of Quebec City mosque shooting

Derbali, a father of three, was paralyzed from the waist down when a shooter opened fire in the mosque on Jan. 29, 2017, killing six.

WATCH BELOW: Community raises money to support paralyzed Quebec mosque shooting victim

DawaNet says it received donations from more than 4,800 donors in 40 countries after it launched an online fundraiser in December.

READ MORE: Muslim community raises money for paralyzed mosque shooting victim

Derbali is currently living in a rehabilitation centre but has said he hopes to move out by this summer.

READ MORE: Muslims at home in Quebec: Philippe Couillard on mosque shooting a year later

Alexandre Bissonnette pleaded guilty this week to six charges of first-degree murder and six of attempted murder in connection with the shooting.

WATCH BELOW: Quebec mosque reopens after terror attack

© 2018 The Canadian Press

You May Also Like

Top Stories