Footage from Quebec City mosque shooting will not be made public: Judge

WATCH ABOVE: Boufeldja Benabdallah, spokesperson for the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Centre, says he's glad the footage from the mosque shooting won't be made public.

Video footage from the night of the deadly 2017 mosque shooting will not be made public, ruled a Quebec judge Wednesday.

READ MORE: Judge listening to arguments on whether to release Quebec mosque shooting videos

The footage will still be presented as evidence during sentencing arguments for Alexandre Bissonnette, who pleaded guilty in March to six charges of first-degree murder and six of attempted murder.

WATCH BELOW: A timeline of the deadly Quebec City mosque shooting

The Crown had been arguing against having the videos released, saying it risked causing trauma to victims or prompting others to commit violence.

READ MORE: Accused in Quebec City mosque shooting pleads guilty

A consortium of seven news organizations argued in favour of having the recordings released.

READ MORE: Quebec City mosque shooting anniversary leads to discussion about reconciliation

“If journalists are allowed to broadcast parts of the video, then people can form their own ideas about the images they see and that’s fundamental,” said the lawyer representing the consortium, Jean-François Côté, Tuesday.

WATCH BELOW: Victims of Quebec City mosque shooting ‘accept’ guilty plea from gunman

Judge François Huot also heard expert testimony from psychiatrist Dr. Cécile Rousseau on the matter.

READ MORE: Quebec City mosque shooting victim ‘optimistic’ 1 year after tragedy

“The trauma it would cause to surviving victims and families is great,” she told the court.

“If you want to destroy someone, you force them to watch a loved one being tortured or killed.”

WATCH BELOW: Media allowed first look inside Quebec mosque where deadly attack took place

She also warned that broadcasting the video could influence others to commit similar crimes or it could be used as propaganda by radical groups.

READ MORE: Quebec City mosque attack ‘inexcusable,’ ‘totally inexplicable’ say parents of accused shooter

Sentencing arguments for the 28-year-old gunman are expected to commence Wednesday afternoon.

WATCH BELOW: Money raised to buy accessible home for Quebec mosque shooting victim

— with files from Global’s Raquel Fletcher and The Canadian Press.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

You May Also Like

Top Stories