TORONTO – An alleged serial killer who faces murder charges in the deaths of eight men with ties to Toronto’s gay village has had his case put over to the end of January.
Bruce McArthur made a brief appearance in court Wednesday where his next hearing was set for Jan. 29, when his pre-trial discussions are set to continue.
The 67-year-old self-employed landscaper is to stand trial in January 2020 after waiving his right to a preliminary hearing late last year.
The Crown says it expects the trial to last three to four months.
Toronto police arrested McArthur in January 2018 and eventually charged him with eight counts of first-degree murder.
The charges are related to men who went missing from the gay village between 2010 and 2017.
Bruce McArthur has just arrived. He looks different than I’ve ever see him look before. He has no facial hair at all. McMahon tells him lawyers had discussions in private today. He can discuss what happened later. Case will be put over until Jan 29. Court adjourned
— Catherine McDonald (@cmcdonaldglobal) January 16, 2019
VIDEO: Toronto Police learned lessons from Bruce McArthur case, Chief Saunders says
© 2019 The Canadian Press