The Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit has declared a COVID-19 outbreak in Northumberland County.
Specific case details have not been provided on the outbreak which the health unit says is connected to a private residence party. The outbreak was declared on Saturday but only officially updated on the health unit’s website on Monday evening.
The health unit late Tuesday afternoon told Global News Peterborough that five cases are associated with the outbreak. No other details were provided, citing privacy.
Case data is not updated on Tuesdays. As of Monday afternoon, there were 36 active cases in the health unit’s jurisdiction: 20 in the Kawarthas (two more), 10 in Haliburton County (four more) and six in Northumberland County (four more).
The outbreak is the second active one, joining one declared Sept. 7 at the Central East Correctional Centre in Lindsay. According to the province, as of Sunday, there were 18 active cases at the super jail — all inmates.
Since the pandemic was first declared, the health unit has dealt with 73 outbreaks — 29 of them at long-term care facilities, 12 at workplace settings, 11 at congregate settings, nine at schools, 11 at “other community settings” and one at a hospital.
The Trillium Lakelands District School Board reports one case at Fenelon Falls Secondary School. The school remains open.
The health unit’s latest immunization data was released late Monday with the following:
All eligible residents (ages 12 and up):
- Single dose: 83.1 per cent
- Two doses (fully vaccinated): 77.8 per cent
Adults (age 18 and up):
- 1 dose: 83.6 per cent
- 2 doses: 78.7 per cent
To date, 142,725 residents in the health unit’s jurisdiction have received one vaccine dose; 133,740 have received two doses (fully vaccinated).
The health unit is offering a number of mobile clinics to receive a COVID-19 vaccine. Clinics this month include:
City of Kawartha Lakes:
- Lindsay: Sunday, Sept. 26, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Lindsay Exhibition (354 Angeline St. S.) The GOVAXX mobile bus will be at the clinic and vaccinations will be offered during the Lindsay Ex’s demolition derby.
- Cobourg: Wednesday, Sept. 15, 1 to 4 p.m., Cobourg Community Centre (750 D’Arcy St.)
- Colborne: Sunday, Sept. 19, 1:30 to 3:30 pm, Victoria Square Park
- Grafton: Saturday, Sept. 25, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., EarlyON at Grafton Community Centre (718 Station St.)
- Harcourt: Saturday, Sept. 18, noon to 3 p.m. South Algonquin Country Store (3895 Loop Rd.).
- Haliburton: Sunday, Sept. 19, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Abbey Gardens (1012 Garden Gate Dr.). The GOVAXX mobile bus will be at this clinic.
Schools are also hosting vaccination clinics for all eligible residents (ages 12 and up). Schools within Trillium Lakelands District School Board (TLDSB) will have clinics run from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for students and staff only. And then open to all other eligible residents (ages 12 and up) from 4 to 7 p.m.
Schools within the Kawartha Pine Ridge District Health Unit (KPR) and the Peterborough, Victoria, Northumberland and Clarington Catholic District School Board (PVNCCDSB) will have clinics 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. for all.
No appointments are necessary and first and second doses will be provided.
City of Kawartha Lakes:
- Sept. 16-17: Fenelon Falls Secondary School in Fenelon Falls
- Sept. 20-21: I.E. Weldon Secondary School in Lindsay
- Sept. 22-23: Lindsay Collegiate Vocational Institute (LCVI)
- Sept. 24-27: St. Thomas Aquinas Secondary School in Lindsay
- Sept. 14-15: Campbellford District High School
- Sept. 16-17: East Northumberland Secondary School
- Sept. 20-21: Port Hope High School
- Sept. 22-23: Cobourg Collegiate Institute
- Sept. 24-27: St. Mary’s Catholic Secondary School in Cobourg
- Sept. 14-15: Haliburton Highlands Secondary School and
Visit Ontario’s pharmacy COVID-19 page for a list of pharmacies that offer a vaccination.
The health unit has launched a new campaign to get youth (ages 12 to 17) vaccinated with its #StickItToCovid contest. Any youth in the health unit’s jurisdiction who has a first or second vaccine shot by Sept. 30 will be entered in a prize draw to win Apple AirPods or Apple gift cards. The prize draw is open to those youth who have previously had their COVID-19 vaccines or plan to get them now.
To enter, youths or their parent/guardian can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the health unit and leave a message at 1-866-888-4577 ext. 1508. All entries must include the name and phone number of the eligible youth. Use the hashtag in social media.
© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.