Do you want to host a virtual Social with a Purpose fundraiser in support of the Alzheimer Society but don’t know how to get started? You’ve come to the right place!
Here we will outline some of the best digital fundraising kits we have to offer, how to invite your friends and family, and how to fundraise to make your first Social with a Purpose a success!
Thank you for choosing to host a Social with a Purpose fundraiser to help raise funds for much needed social recreation programming for those living with dementia and their care partners to help isolation. By fundraising just $30, you will be giving a person living with dementia and their care partner two sessions of Minds in Motion®—a program that is now being offered virtually to provide physical exercise, social interaction, and brain stimulation activities.
What is Social with a Purpose?
As social distancing and physical isolation became a part of our daily routines, we began to understand the overwhelming feelings of loss and loneliness being separated from the community can bring us—feelings that people living with dementia experience in their normal, day-to-day lives. That’s why we created Social with a Purpose, a do-it-yourself fundraising program that promotes the importance of socializing, staying in touch, and building strong, positive relationships with your friends, family, and community. Now more than ever, it is important to find new, creative ways to stay connected to our friends and family and at the same time, raise funds to support important services to help ensure people living with dementia are not isolated.
How-to Host a Virtual Fundraiser
- Choose your fundraising activity! From an online card game with friends, virtual book club, or spicing up your Zoom meetings with a game of BINGO, you can support people living with dementia in your community by turning your next virtual social gathering into a fundraiser or use your fundraiser as a way to get together! Feel like doing something different or not sure where to start? Download one of our Social with a Purpose digital fundraising kits, such as:
- Paint Night
- Sing a long concert
- Date Night with cooking lessons
- Game Nights – host a board game or card tournament with the family for ultimate bragging rights
- Choose your hosting platform! There are many different video conferencing technologies available for you to choose from like Zoom, Skype, or Google Hangouts! You can check out our easy to use How-To Use Virtual Video Conferencing Platforms Guide to help you choose which platform would be best for you.
- Send out your invites! Once you have chosen your fundraiser activity, your hosting platform, and determined how you’ll fundraise, invite your friends, family, neighbours, and whoever else you’d like to attend!
- Prepare! Prepare for your fundraiser by purchasing what you need (depending on your activity), send your meeting invite/link to join the video call, and get ready to have some fun!
- Have fun! When the day of your Social with a Purpose fundraiser arrives, remember to have fun and the reason why you’re gathering virtually—to stay connected, to be together, and to support people living with dementia.